Blue-Ribbon Butter Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55-70 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 410 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 30, 2019
I love this cake!! Thank you!! I made one little change. Instead of inverting the cake and then pouring on the butter mixture, I left it in the pan, poked several holes and poured the butter/sugar over the top and allowed it to soak in and flow along the center and sides, keeping a little for the top after inverting. It soaked up so much of the sauce that way!
Jul 10, 2019
My son requested a butter cake for his birthday. This recipe looked easy enough. My husband and my son both loved it. Our new favorire cake recipe!
Jun 22, 2019
I recently made this cake as dessert for a family barbecue. I served it with blueberries and whipped cream. What a hit! I can honestly say this is probably one of the very best cakes I have ever made! The glaze makes a yummy light crust that is fabulous. I followed instructions exactly, with the exception of using a bundt pan, as that was all I had. I generously greased the pan using Crisco (per TOH recommendation ), and had no trouble removing the cake from the pan. I will be making this again to serve with fresh raspberries from my garden. Highly recommend, you will not be disappointed.
May 21, 2019
Delicious, but recipe must be viewed on a lap top. Ingredients are cut off and can't be viewed on a hand held device. Looking at the reviews I saw that someone mentioned buttermilk and butter sauce, so I checked on my computer.
Apr 21, 2019
Best recipe. I didn’t have buttermilk so I mixed one tablespoon of cream cheese to whole milk. Worked perfect. I used the recipe for upside down banana cake, it’s very delicious. Five stars.
Apr 17, 2019
This is a fabulous cake! I make it in a 9X13 and it comes out perfect. It's so moist and delicious! It's actually easy to make, too.
Oct 11, 2018
This cake is totally luscious! Next time I think I will try making less sauce. There was a lot left. This joins my short list of fabulous cakes.
Jul 4, 2018
The tube pan I have is a two-piece pan that comes apart - I've only ever really used it for angel food cake (I think this may be an old style of tube pan - maybe they don't make them this way any more?). Will this cake work in a two-piece tube pan or will the batter run out? Does the cake work in a bundt pan?
Apr 14, 2018
This is one of the most incredible cakes I have ever prepared or consumed. Iusually stick with Betty Crocker. Spreaded my wings and was happy I did.I've been threatening to make it for 2 weeks. I cooked it for the recommendedtime. Next time, I will tamp it back about 5 minutes or, at least, check it sooner.
Apr 5, 2018
This cake is terrific! Looks just like the picture, tastes scrumptious.