Blue-Ribbon Butter Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55-70 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 410 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 19, 2019
It was rlly good even though I made it in a hotel with a wonky tiny oven, a steel mixing bowl as a cake pan, beer replacing the vinegar for buttermilk substitute, and most notably, no unit of measurement, so I ended up eyeballing everything in approximation. I also halfed the recipe, and also ate like a quarter of the cake (it goes rlly well with strawberries, wished I had some whipped cream and more milk.) Needless to say, I'm lying on the couch and dying rn. Make sure to make the drizzle AFTER the cake comes out from the oven—if you make it too early, it sets and it's a whole process reheating which takes just as long as the initial making, so you might as well save it. Also, use a bundt pan or a rectangular mold. with the round ones, the middle took forever to bake, while the edges were done like thirty min in. I was at risk of overcooking, so I took it out when the middle was JUST barely done, and I also scooped some batter out from the middle as it went, to make it a little bit more even. It didn't end up affecting the texture noticeably, but it might've if I was a little less watchful.
Aug 30, 2019
I love this cake!! Thank you!! I made one little change. Instead of inverting the cake and then pouring on the butter mixture, I left it in the pan, poked several holes and poured the butter/sugar over the top and allowed it to soak in and flow along the center and sides, keeping a little for the top after inverting. It soaked up so much of the sauce that way!
Jul 10, 2019
My son requested a butter cake for his birthday. This recipe looked easy enough. My husband and my son both loved it. Our new favorire cake recipe!
Jun 22, 2019
I recently made this cake as dessert for a family barbecue. I served it with blueberries and whipped cream. What a hit! I can honestly say this is probably one of the very best cakes I have ever made! The glaze makes a yummy light crust that is fabulous. I followed instructions exactly, with the exception of using a bundt pan, as that was all I had. I generously greased the pan using Crisco (per TOH recommendation ), and had no trouble removing the cake from the pan. I will be making this again to serve with fresh raspberries from my garden. Highly recommend, you will not be disappointed.
May 21, 2019
Delicious, but recipe must be viewed on a lap top. Ingredients are cut off and can't be viewed on a hand held device. Looking at the reviews I saw that someone mentioned buttermilk and butter sauce, so I checked on my computer.
Apr 21, 2019
Best recipe. I didn’t have buttermilk so I mixed one tablespoon of cream cheese to whole milk. Worked perfect. I used the recipe for upside down banana cake, it’s very delicious. Five stars.
Apr 17, 2019
This is a fabulous cake! I make it in a 9X13 and it comes out perfect. It's so moist and delicious! It's actually easy to make, too.
Oct 11, 2018
This cake is totally luscious! Next time I think I will try making less sauce. There was a lot left. This joins my short list of fabulous cakes.
Jul 4, 2018
The tube pan I have is a two-piece pan that comes apart - I've only ever really used it for angel food cake (I think this may be an old style of tube pan - maybe they don't make them this way any more?). Will this cake work in a two-piece tube pan or will the batter run out? Does the cake work in a bundt pan?
Apr 14, 2018
This is one of the most incredible cakes I have ever prepared or consumed. Iusually stick with Betty Crocker. Spreaded my wings and was happy I did.I've been threatening to make it for 2 weeks. I cooked it for the recommendedtime. Next time, I will tamp it back about 5 minutes or, at least, check it sooner.