Blue-Ribbon Butter Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55-70 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- 3. For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- 4. Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely.
1 slice: 410 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 11, 2018This cake is totally luscious! Next time I think I will try making less sauce. There was a lot left. This joins my short list of fabulous cakes.
Jul 4, 2018The tube pan I have is a two-piece pan that comes apart - I've only ever really used it for angel food cake (I think this may be an old style of tube pan - maybe they don't make them this way any more?). Will this cake work in a two-piece tube pan or will the batter run out? Does the cake work in a bundt pan?
Apr 14, 2018
This is one of the most incredible cakes I have ever prepared or consumed. I
usually stick with Betty Crocker. Spreaded my wings and was happy I did.
I've been threatening to make it for 2 weeks. I cooked it for the recommended
time. Next time, I will tamp it back about 5 minutes or, at least, check it sooner.
Apr 5, 2018
This cake is terrific! Looks just like the picture, tastes scrumptious.
Mar 18, 2018
Excellent butter cake!!! I made this using a tube pan and it came out great. Did not have buttermilk, so substituted with Greek vanilla yogurt that I need to use up. Perfect!
Jan 10, 2018
I made this for my husbands birthday. What a delicious, easy to make cake!!!
Definitely a keeper!
Jan 5, 2018
This cake ?? is a keeper vary easy to make
Sep 19, 2017
I made this with gluten free flour and it was amazing. I did have to increase the liquid by 1/4 cup in order to keep the cake moist and not too dense. Amazing flavor!
Jul 24, 2017
This cake came out exactly as I thought it would. Fantastic. No problems getting cake out of bundt pan at all. I am lazy and use the canned flour/grease spray. Works great. Recipe a definite keeper!
Jul 17, 2017
Heavy, moist, delicious........just what I wanted!!!!