Sweet Onion Spoon Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onions in butter until tender; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the corn, muffin mix, egg whites and milk. Pour into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine sour cream and onions; spread over batter. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 191 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 28, 2011
Apr 2, 2011
A very good recipe...slightly different from your average corn bread pudding recipe. We ate this with chili. Make sure your onions have cooled off before adding to the sour cream...mine were hot and the sour cream sort of curdled. Next time I may stir everything together rather than layering as I wasn't crazy about biting into an entire layer of onions at once.
Mar 30, 2011
This was good and had good flavor. I used lowfat cheddar. I probably wouldn't make on a regular basis.
Mar 24, 2011
My husband made this. He used lowfat sour cream - it was wonderful. A keeper for sure!