Apple Quinoa Spoon Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small apple, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute apple, onion and parsnip with celery seed and 1/2 teaspoon salt until softened, 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sage.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. In another bowl, whisk together egg and 1 cup milk. Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in quinoa and apple mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Pour remaining milk over top.
- Bake, uncovered, until edges are golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 153 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 21, 2019
Debora, I see milk in the ingredients list, so perhaps they had forgotten to add that in last month. But 1 c of milk gets mixed with the egg and added to the cornmeal mixture. The remaining 1/2 c milk gets poured over the top.
Feb 16, 2019
The directions talk about "remaining milk" but there's no milk in the ingredient list, and the "1 cup of milk" also mentioned in the directions appears to be used up. So how much should be poured over the top?