Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, mustard, salt and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cheeses until melted. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Separate eggs. Place egg whites in a medium bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup hot cheese mixture; return all to remaining cheese mixture, stirring constantly. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place eight ungreased 8-oz. ramekins in a baking pan.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on high speed until stiff but not dry. With a rubber spatula, gently stir a fourth of the egg whites into cheese mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to prepared ramekins. Add 1 in. of hot water to baking pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Serve immediately. Freeze option: Securely wrap unbaked souffles with foil and freeze. To use, preheat oven to 325°. Remove foil and place frozen souffles in a baking pan; add 1 in. warm water to larger pan. Bake 60-65 minutes or until heated through and tops are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 317 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 223mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein.
Mar 26, 2018
What would you serve with this as a meal?
Dec 23, 2014
What temp and time is this baked at for a regular souffl? dish? I have never baked a souffl? in a water bath! Is it really necessary?
Dec 7, 2013
Simple, beautiful and elegant, beautiful recipie!
Jun 2, 2013
Great, easy recipe! Don't be afraid of souffles!This one is no fail. I make this one at least twice a month for Sunday night supper. I vary the cheese to what I have on hand.
Feb 6, 2010
I took a dare to make this recipe because souffles are notorious for being failures. No failure here! They were wonderful. I will be making these again, for sure.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.