Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into two ungreased 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the tops are puffed and centers appear set. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 301 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 270mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein.
Jan 21, 2012
This is the second time I have made this recipe. It is delicious and easy - not to mention they look very pretty. I doubled the recipe for our family. These are very tasty - I am planning on making them for company next weekend - they go really well with lemon scones!
Jan 1, 2012
made this and it turned out more then perfect. i browned ma tops a lil more ( its the way i like em ) A++++ Cheese Souffles recipe
May 28, 2010
This was my first attempt at souffle-making--it was very easy (once I got the eggs separated) and delicious. My two-year-old devoured it! I used parmesan cheese and chopped chives.
Feb 3, 2009
i eat neither eggwhites nor yolk.is there some way to modufy this recipe without the eggs?please let me know..
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.