Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into two ungreased 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the tops are puffed and centers appear set. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 301 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 270mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein.
Jan 21, 2012
This is the second time I have made this recipe. It is delicious and easy - not to mention they look very pretty. I doubled the recipe for our family. These are very tasty - I am planning on making them for company next weekend - they go really well with lemon scones!
Jan 1, 2012
made this and it turned out more then perfect. i browned ma tops a lil more ( its the way i like em ) A++++ Cheese Souffles recipe
May 28, 2010
This was my first attempt at souffle-making--it was very easy (once I got the eggs separated) and delicious. My two-year-old devoured it! I used parmesan cheese and chopped chives.
Feb 3, 2009
i eat neither eggwhites nor yolk.is there some way to modufy this recipe without the eggs?please let me know..