Three-Cheese French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 7 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the broth, water, soup mix, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with Swiss and mozzarella cheeses. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls; top each with a toast slice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 5, 2012
I also added more onion soup mix. It turned out really well.
Jan 5, 2012
What a simple recipe with great taste!
Nov 16, 2010
I found the broth to be slightly bland so I added an other 1/2 of envelope of the Onion Soup Mix and used a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce instead of a teaspoon. Even our son, who doesn't care much for onions, loved the soup.
Oct 21, 2010
Very easy and very delicious.