Three-Cheese French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 7 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the broth, water, soup mix, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with Swiss and mozzarella cheeses. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls; top each with a toast slice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 5, 2012
I also added more onion soup mix. It turned out really well.
Jan 5, 2012
What a simple recipe with great taste!
Nov 16, 2010
I found the broth to be slightly bland so I added an other 1/2 of envelope of the Onion Soup Mix and used a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce instead of a teaspoon. Even our son, who doesn't care much for onions, loved the soup.
Oct 21, 2010
Very easy and very delicious.