Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium leek (white portion only)
- 5 green onions with tops
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Slice all onions and leek 1/4 in. thick. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender and golden, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, consomme, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Swiss cheese in the bottom of six ovenproof 8-oz. bowls. Ladle hot soup into bowls. Top each with a slice of bread. Sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Broil 6-8 in. from the heat until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 197 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 1, 2015
I found this recipe in taste of home ring bound cookbook. I made it today for me and my husband. WOW. It is a definite keeper. So good and really mild. Will add this to our monthly menu. Thanks so much Taste of Home.
Nov 14, 2012
My dad is French Canadian and ADORES French Onion soup. I found this recipe years back to make for him for father's day. It's his absolute FAV now! He's sick today, so fixing him some soup for a little TLC... I fix it just as indicated on the recipe. I wonder if making a double batch and freezing it would work? I'd imagine so. I'll have to try it for him one of these days.
Apr 2, 2008
Even my kids love this and they hate onions. It's really good on a cold, winter day.