So-Easy-Yet-Delicious Onion Soup
Topped with a slice of cheesy toast hot from the broiler, homemade onion soup is guaranteed to please. Add a green side salad for a complete meal. —Hildy Schlegel, Addison, New York
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium red onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or additional beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, wine, basil, ground pepper, oregano, thyme and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to about 6 cups, 20-30 minutes.
- Place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from heat or until toasted, about 2 minutes on each. Sprinkle with cheeses; broil until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a cheese toast. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup soup with 1 slice toast: 272 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1492mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.