So-Easy-Yet-Delicious Onion Soup
Topped with a slice of cheesy toast hot from the broiler, homemade onion soup is guaranteed to please. Add a green side salad for a complete meal. —Hildy Schlegel, Addison, New York
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium red onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or additional beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, wine, basil, ground pepper, oregano, thyme and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 20-30 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 6 cups.
- Place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from heat 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Sprinkle with cheeses; broil 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a cheese toast. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup soup with 1 slice toast: 272 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1492mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as How Can Something This Easy Be So Delicious Onion Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.