French Market Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 4-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 3 cups assorted dried beans for soup
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 12 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; return beans to the pan. Add the ham hocks, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hocks; set aside until cool enough to handle. Add the tomatoes, onions, lemon juice, garlic and chili powder to the beans. Simmer 1 hour longer.
- Remove ham from bones and cut into cubes; discard bones. Return ham to soup. Stir in the kielbasa, chicken, wine and parsley. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and as thick as desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Bob’s Red Mill 13-Bean Soup Mix.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 291 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 18g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 23, 2019
This soup had an amazing flavor, but, it took a whole day to prepare. Thank heavens I was confined to the house because of a blizzard. I had more than enough to add to the freezer for our next snow day. I am not sure it was good enough to do again, or to think about how to make it easier.