Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes18 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, finely chopped
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon each Cajun seasoning, chili powder, Creole seasoning, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 19, 2016
Excellent soup. I have made this Creole Soup with 1/2 lb. of shrimp which changed the taste only slightly. Once, I added 1 more tsp. of Cajun Seasoning and it had a good punch of heat. Since I live the Low Country of SC, I made it adding 1 cup of Okra and sausage. TIP: Use your largest pot for this recipe.
Feb 4, 2015
I omitted the red pepper flakes because I thought it would be to hot....glad I did because it would of been to hot for me. The other spices were just right . GOOD SOUP
Aug 20, 2012
Just the right amount of spices in this soup.
Feb 5, 2011
Really good soup! Perfect amount of spice/heat, too. The only change I made to the recipe was to use 4 cups of beef broth in place of 4 c. of the water. I definitely will make it again.
Oct 12, 2010
Best soup recipe that I have came across. I could eat this for ever meal. The only thing i changed was instead of 1tsp of the seasonings i use 1/2 tsp so it is not as spicy.
Apr 22, 2010
Added 3/4 lb of fresh cooked, shelled shrimp, cut into thumbtip sized bits. Enough to add shrimp flavor but not take over. TRULY GREAT
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.