Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/3 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, combine the tomatoes, green pepper, celery, onion, chili powder, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 2/3 cup sauce and 1/2 cup rice : 320 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 2, 2018
This was pretty good! Came together quickly and was easy to make. I cut the chicken up into bite-sized pieces, and I sauteed the veggies a bit before adding in the tomatoes so they wouldn't be too crispy at the end for our liking. I added the chicken in with the veggies to simmer, and I stirred in the cooked rice at the end to serve family-style. It was great as-is, but I think I'll swap out some Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning for the chili powder next time for a stronger kick. Delicious!
Jun 8, 2017
We had this dish tonight and it was delicious. So easy to prepare. I made a couple of minor changes. I cut my chicken breast into strips to cook faster and it did. I also sprinkled them with creole seasoning before sauteing them to give them a little flavor thanks to a reviewer. I used fire roasted tomatoes and brown rice to complete the meal. This recipe is a real winner. Both hubby and I cleaned our plates.Volunteer Field Editor
Mar 22, 2017
This was a quick, good dish for a fast dinner. I made my own creole seasoning rather than use the chili powder. The veggies were still crisp tender which is what we like rather than mushy veggies.
Jan 14, 2010
This chicken recipe is great for a fast weeknight meal. I have made it a couple of times and it is definitely a keeper! Very tasty!
Oct 20, 2009
we loved this recipe i modfied it a bit and cubed the 2 chick breasts and browned them in a little olive oil, i used no salt added tomatoes, 1 green pepper, 2 ribs of celery, 2 med onions, tablespoon of chilli powder and tbs of thyme....it was fantastic
Sep 22, 2009
great for a weekend when you want something fast, easy but still healthy. i've made it several times. i've also cut up the chicken breasts into small strips. i'd recommend!