Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- In a blender, combine the first nine ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Pour 1/2 cup into a small bowl for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. On a greased grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°, basting frequently with the reserved marinade.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half: 186 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 28, 2019
I enjoyed this chicken way more than expected! It’s bright, sweet, and ever so slightly spicy. Definitely will make again
Jul 4, 2018
Not a fan of sweet flavored meat dishes, but this is delicious. Our family loves spicy foods, but we must have had some very strong jalapenos. We'd probably reduce how much we use next time.
Jun 24, 2018
My family REALLY likes this chicken! Thanks for the recipe! Has anyone marinated beef in it? Like a london broil?
Nov 11, 2012
Used 3 jalapeños for me, one with seeds. made a 2nd batch for my husband using 6 jalapeños with seeds. Could not tell the difference! bland!
Sep 22, 2011
My fiancee is pretty useless in the kitchen sometimes, but he was able to put this together while I was on my way home from work. It's super out of the ordinary and we both really appreciated that it wasn't covered in our usual terriyaki sauce or barbecue sauce. Super spicy and unique. Will absolutely make over and over.
Jun 4, 2011
I did mine as chicken tenders. It was excellent!
Mar 19, 2010
This was incredible, the flavors oh my. Cant wait to make it again. I didnt have green onion, but that would make it even better Im sure. Tasty!
May 28, 2009
Can u make this without the honey?
Nov 14, 2008
The marinade is really good on shrimp too!