Roast Chicken with Creole Stuffing
I've used this recipe ever since I roasted my first chicken. Our whole family looks forward to it. The combination of shrimp, sausage, ham, vegetables and seasonings makes the stuffing unique and delicious.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes8 servings (8 cups stuffing)
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined, optional
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausages in oil until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove sausages, reserving drippings. When cool enough to handle, cut sausages in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-in. pieces; set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and peppers in drippings until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, basil, sugar, hot pepper sauce, bouillon, chili powder, pepper, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add to the cooked rice. Stir in ham, shrimp if desired, parsley and sausage; mix lightly.
- Just before baking, stuff the chicken with about 3-1/2 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan; tie drumsticks together. Combine paprika, pepper and remaining salt; rub over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Cover and bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until juices run clear. Bake additional stuffing for the last 40 minutes of baking time, uncovering during the last 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 472 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Roast Chicken with Creole Stuffing in Country Woman Christmas 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.