Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons seeded chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can (16-1/2 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine rice, cornmeal, onion, peppers, salt and baking soda.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, milk and oil. Add corn; mix well. Stir into rice mixture until blended. Fold in cheese. Sprinkle a well-greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet with cornmeal. Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bread tests done. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 293 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 557mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 10, 2018
I made this cornbread and it was good but it didn't have enough flavor. I made it again but instead of using white rice, I used zatarains yellow rice. The texture of the yellow rice was firmer (which was better), not soft as the white rice. The flavor was perfect. Next time I'm going to use Jiffy box corn muffin mix and just add all the stir-ins. I'm sure it will be good also.
Apr 2, 2017
I found this bread to have a moist and cheesy flavor! I just did 2 changes-I didn't have canola oil, so I used vegetable oil and also used 2% milk since that was what I'd had available!
Feb 27, 2017
I followed recipe exactly as written. It was wonderfully moist but lacking in flavor. Needs some creole spices to jazz it up. 3 stars for texture, moistness & presentation out of the cast iron pan.
Sep 7, 2013
made this several times and once for a bbq contest, placed second with it. very good.