Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons seeded chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can (16-1/2 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine rice, cornmeal, onion, peppers, salt and baking soda.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, milk and oil. Add corn; mix well. Stir into rice mixture until blended. Fold in cheese. Sprinkle a well-greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet with cornmeal. Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bread tests done. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 293 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 557mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Apr 2, 2017
I found this bread to have a moist and cheesy flavor! I just did 2 changes-I didn't have canola oil, so I used vegetable oil and also used 2% milk since that was what I'd had available!
Feb 27, 2017
I followed recipe exactly as written. It was wonderfully moist but lacking in flavor. Needs some creole spices to jazz it up. 3 stars for texture, moistness & presentation out of the cast iron pan.
Sep 7, 2013
made this several times and once for a bbq contest, placed second with it. very good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.