Corn Okra Creole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn or 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole-kernel corn
- 1-1/2 cups fresh sliced okra or 1 package (16 ounces) frozen okra
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil until tender. Add corn and okra; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, salt, pepper and, if desired, pepper sauce. Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 147 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 21, 2015
We found this to be very bland. Not sure how to give the dish more flavor, but I'm in no way inclined to make it again to find out.
Aug 26, 2010
I've never liked okra before, but this dish turned out really good! Leftovers reheat well.