Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain. Saute onion and green pepper in drippings for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the okra, tomatoes, salt if desired and pepper; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add rice; cook for 10-15 minutes or until okra is tender and liquid is absorbed. Crumble bacon; stir into rice mixture.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 134 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 2, 2015
A wonderful change of pace from fried okra. It's also a very colorful dish to serve.
Jul 16, 2012
I'm not a big fan of okra, but this was excellent and easy. I used turkey bacon and a can of diced tomatoes instead and the flavor was great. I will make this again and maybe add some shrimp.
Aug 2, 2011
so easy and tastes wonderful, I have use can tomatoes and it still tastes great
Dec 19, 2007
I have made this numerous times and taken to carry-ins also and everyone always loves it. It is one of our very favorite dishes and so easy to make. I do wonder if anyone has ever used canned tomatoes. I often think of trying them after tomato season is over but never have.