Pecan Rice Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- In a large saucepan, saute pecans in 2 tablespoons butter until toasted; remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in remaining butter until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Stir in the broth, 2 tablespoons parsley, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots; simmer 3-5 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Stir in toasted pecans and remaining parsley. Fluff with a fork. Freeze option: Reserving pecans for later, freeze cooled pilaf in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, adding 2-3 tablespoons water to moisten. Toast pecans; add to pilaf.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 313 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 24, 2016
Very easy to make, but also easy to potentially burn. We omitted the pecans. Delicious!
Aug 9, 2015
I added some petite peas and served it cold as a salad with lemon vinaigrette - very good!
Jan 22, 2015
Just made this, wish we could upload pics here. I used sliced almonds, my preference, chopped green and red peppers, YUM, YUM YUMMY....My family loves it. Made with Teriyaki Chicken.....yum, great combination
Jan 19, 2015
Great side dish.
Jan 11, 2015
This side was very good with pork chops & steamed carrots, though I did use pecans, I picked them put of my side. Will make it again.
Jan 8, 2015
It sounds really good and easy and I like a good rice pilaf so I am gonna try it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.