Chicken Carrot Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, add the rice, carrots, onion, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook and stir until rice is browned and onion is tender.
- Stir in broth. Place chicken over rice mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 362 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 16, 2019
I thought this was an easy meal and really enjoyed the simplicity of it. Tasted like comfort food.
Nov 6, 2018
Very bland even after adding spices.
Jul 18, 2014
I make this all the time. Good dish for kids. Doesn't have much seasoning, but still very satisfying.
Aug 19, 2012
I've made this recipe several times now for my family and they all really like it. A good simple weekday dinner. However, I don't add the red pepper till the last 5 min when the dish is standing, since I don't it them to be mushy, which they will be if added before boiling. Browning the rice as the recipe calls for keeps the rice from clumping when cooked. This recipe is even easier when precooked chicken strips are used.
May 16, 2010
Very Good Meal!
May 6, 2010
Yes, very easy to make but, as written, it is extremely bland. Parsley was the only herb or spice and, when I tasted it before serving, I felt like it needed more of something. Had to add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. A little crunch would have been nice too .... maybe water chestnuts or celery. It's a good basic recipe with a lot of potential and I might make it again, but not as written without adjustments.
May 5, 2010
This recipe was easy to make, and all 5 of my children really enjoyed it.