Carrot Zucchini Fritters
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes1-1/2 dozen fritters, 2/3 cup basil sauce and 1-1/2 cups horseradish sauce
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sour cream, divided
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- In a blender, place 2/3 cup sour cream, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a small bowl. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, horseradish sauce and remaining sour cream. Cover and refrigerate for both sauces.
- Place onion and butter in a microwave-safe dish. Cover; microwave on high until onion is tender. Add the egg, zucchini and carrot. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cheese, cornmeal, salt and pepper; stir in vegetable mixture just until combined.
- In an electric skillet, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
Aug 5, 2014
Kids love this one.
Jul 18, 2011
A tasty way to use an abundance of zucchini.
Jan 2, 2010
Great use of the zucchini from my garden! Mine needed more flour to stick together in the deep fryer, but this wouldn't be a problem if I pan-fried them. Did not make the sauce and found them good plain.
Mar 19, 2009
st pattys day i found a recipe for zucchini potato pancakes and were they a hit,i be sure to try these,oh! u might want to use horsradishes for extra flavor!!
Apr 24, 2008
These are so yummy. I've made the twice now, once deep fried per the recipe and once pan fried. I recommend pan frying them as they taste the same, there's less mess and they're healthier. I use my hands to shape each one to about the size/thickness of a pancake, and they come out perfect!
Dec 17, 2007
How much horseradish should you use for the second dip?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.