Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash dried basil
- Dash dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 6 tablespoons water, optional
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Gently stir in tomato, onion, cheese, jalapeno and garlic just until moistened. If the batter seems thick, add water 1 Tablespoon at a time to thin it slightly until it loosens up and mixes easily.
- In a cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 fritter: 40 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 11, 2018
I made thse fritters August 10, 2018 and they were delicious! My family couldn't get enough of them. Because my garden tomatoes were so juicy, my fritters were flatter than those pictured, but they were still excellent. I will be making these again.