Vegetable and Barley Pilaf
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute zucchini and carrot in butter until crisp-tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until barley is tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the onions, marjoram, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 219 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 10g fiber), 9g protein.
Feb 11, 2015
I substituted 1tsp herbs de provence for the marjoram. Very tasty, everyone loved it.
Sep 27, 2014
Thought this was very good, though it needed some more spice. I'll be making this one again! Thanks!
Aug 28, 2013
I made this tonight exactly as written, but thought it was bland. If I make it again, I will definitely add something to give it more zip.
Jan 20, 2013
very yummy!!! and easy to make!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.