- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- Boiling water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Cooked rice, optional
- In a small shallow bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt and pepper; set aside. In a small saucepan, cover and cook okra in boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes and reserved sugar mixture; cook for 5 minutes. Add okra. Heat through, stirring as little as possible. Serve with rice if desired.
3/4 cup: 83 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 fat.