Bayou Okra Sausage Stew
My husband and I worked on this recipe together. We make a big pot and freeze it to enjoy all winter long. We sometimes stir in sauteed shrimp for a delicious addition to this stew. —Lisa Nelson, Bluffton, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the first five ingredients in oil until the vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, okra, tomato sauce, soy sauce and hot sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until okra is tender. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 274 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 1011mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Okra Creole with Smoked Sausage in The Best of Country Cooking 2016
Nov 15, 2016
This was petty good but really I like a little more flavor. I used a jalapeno smoke sausage and added more hot sauce. This recipe does make alot! So this would be a great freezer meal.