Bayou Okra Sausage Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the first five ingredients in oil until the vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, okra, tomato sauce, soy sauce and hot sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until okra is tender. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 274 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 1011mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Nov 15, 2016
This was petty good but really I like a little more flavor. I used a jalapeno smoke sausage and added more hot sauce. This recipe does make alot! So this would be a great freezer meal.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.