Southern Cornbread Dressing
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 8 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup turkey giblets, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first 10 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs and broth. Add to bread mixture; stir until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and a thermometer inserted in the center reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 264 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 987mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Dec 2, 2013
This dressing had a good taste, but was just a little dry. We usually add dried bread crumbs to lighten the dressing up and I will probably do that next time because other than being a bit compact and dry this was very good.
Nov 27, 2013
Thank you!! This turned out DELICIOUS. This is now my go-to cornbread stuffing recipe. I was a little unsure about the eggs, but the texture and taste of everything blended perfectly. Only thing I did different was sauté the celery, onion, and bell pepper. Try this recipe -it's easy and tastes great!!