Chicken Cornbread Dressing
Even though Mom passed away years ago, her wonderful cornbread dressing lives on each year at Christmas dinner. It just wouldn't be the same holiday without it!
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 40 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 2 to 3 celery ribs with leaves
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs, lightly beaten
- Place chicken in a soup kettle. Add the water, celery and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth. Strain broth, discarding vegetables; set broth aside. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; dice and place in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender; stir in salt, sage, pepper and cayenne. Add to chicken. Stir in the cornbread, green onions, pecans, parsley and eggs. Add 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups of reserved broth, stirring gently to mix. (Refrigerate remaining broth for another use.)
- Transfer to greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 383 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Corn Bread Dressing in Country Woman Christmas 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.