Grandma’s Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 6 pounds medium red potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes; cool completely.
- For the dressing, in the top of a double boiler or metal bowl over barely simmering water, heat water, butter and vinegar until butter is melted. In a small bowl, beat eggs; add sugar and cornstarch. Add to butter mixture; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Stir Miracle Whip into cooled dressing mixture; fold in whipped cream. Stir in onion, green onions, salt and pepper. Add potatoes; toss lightly to combine. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- To serve, top with hard-boiled eggs; sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 197 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 22, 2017
This is a must have at all family gatherings! Very creamy! I used mayo instead of miracle whip & it was amazing. Everyone came back for seconds.
Apr 11, 2016
Delicious potato salad
Apr 10, 2016
This is the recipe my Grandma used for years. Brings back great memories. Yummy??
Oct 13, 2015
Humm, this is the most unique and interesting potaoe salad recipe ive ever seen. I'm definitely interested in trying this ! Thanks for sharing.
Jul 12, 2015
I made more potatoes and whipped two cartons of whipped cream with additional miracle whip and it was a success with people taking seconds and thirds, food home, and asking for recipe. What could be better than that!!!!!!!
Jun 17, 2015
I'll stick to my Hellman's Mayo recipe. Too much work without good results.
Jul 4, 2014
This is DELISH! Takes a while to make but its worth it!!
Jul 29, 2013
We all loved this creamy potato salad, the whipping cream was the difference!!
May 29, 2013
I didn't actually try this recipe. My sister did, and she isn't a very good cook, so she didn't know the difference. The ingredients alone should give you a clue. It was awful! This is absolutely NOT grandma's potato salad.
May 10, 2013
Very Sweet and bland...not worth all the trouble of cooking the dressing, cooling it down, whipping the cream.. needed mustard or celery.