Spicy Fried Okra
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- Pat okra dry with paper towels. Place buttermilk and hot sauce in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk mixture, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- In a cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry okra, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown, 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. If desired, season with additional salt and pepper.