Spicy Lemon Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, chili powder and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- Hot cooked noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a greased 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the onion, water, lemon juice, oil and seasonings. Add chicken; turn to coat. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually add the cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 190 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Aug 20, 2015
A friend at church gave me some home-grown lemons, and I was excited to try out this recipe. Unfortunately, I didn't like it. My husband didn't care for it much, either. There was no balance to the flavours. It didn't like taste like lemon to us, it just tasted acidic. Well, like acid plus onion. At the end of the meal, the aftertaste left me feeling like I had been sucking on the end of a 9v battery. The chicken itself was ok, but the sauce wasn't good. I wouldn't make this again.
Jan 6, 2013
I ended up doubling the recipe because I thought I had more than 4 chickn breast, which I did not! But i still think it came out really good. My husband liked it, so it's a keeper.
Oct 30, 2012
Nov 2, 2011
The spice note in this was nice, however, the lemon was a bit over-powering. Next time, I might tone down the lemon just a smidge.
Jul 25, 2011
A little too lemony for my taste. Next time I will cut down on the lemon juice and use chicken stock instead of water. Also had to double every thing but the chicken breasts. Cooked in 2 hours not 4-5.
Oct 23, 2009
I thought this recipe was OK, but not great. My husband, who isn't at all picky, didn't care for it. I wonder if the original recipe (not crock pot) would be better.
Feb 17, 2009
This is an excellent recipe. It has just the right amount of "bite" to it.