Lemon Basil Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Finely grate enough peel from lemon to measure 2 teaspoons. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice from one half. Set aside. Slice one garlic clove; place sliced garlic, 2 tablespoons basil and the remaining lemon half in the chicken cavity.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; rub with reserved lemon juice. Mince remaining garlic; combine with butter and reserved lemon peel. Rub mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining basil.
- Bake, uncovered, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 282 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein.
Jan 7, 2018
Wonderful flavor, moist and tender. Great weekend meal or for company.
May 18, 2014
Great flavor. Will be making again.
May 16, 2014
I love roasted chicken and would probably choose it as my final meal. This is a quite lovely way to roast chicken, and I'll certainly make it again. The breast meat was moist and tender, just delicious. And the whole chicken had the subtle flavors of lemon and basil. Not a new recipe - I first found it in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. Sometimes, the old classic recipes are the best.
Mar 21, 2013
smells amazing while it cooks. Delicious fresh flavour.
Dec 20, 2011
Have made this chicken several times, and it always comes out moist and full of flavor. Thanks!
Mar 1, 2011
My family loves this chicken recipe. Very good and easy. I dont change a thing and I make it often.
Aug 23, 2010
I made this to use up some of my basil from my garden. I was afraid the basil would be too strong, but it balanced out well. I didn't get the golden crust that the picture had, but it could be because I didn't cook it long enough (cooked it for 1 1/4 hrs). The taste was good, but not amazing. Not overly impressed.
Aug 3, 2010
I made this chicken tonight and it was delicious. I didn't change a thing. My husband declared it the best chicken ever!
Feb 9, 2010
I have fixed this chicken twice since I got it in my email, love it, love the flavor of it.
Jan 24, 2010
I used chicken thighs that I had on hand with all the ingredients. It was wonderful! Next time I will use a whole chicken.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.