Lemon-Basil Chicken Marsala
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, basil, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine and lemon juice, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by a third.
- Return chicken to the pan. Sprinkle with cheese. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 417 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 18, 2015
Loved this recipe. I added more lemon juice to it and used Marsala wine.
Jul 21, 2015
Nice and tender, but I agree with previous comments, I will double the sauce next time and make it half marsala and half broth.
Jan 14, 2015
This is a delicious recipe! I made this for my boyfriend last night and he was still talking it this morning, lol! He may ask me to marry him now : ) // Seriously though, super yummy, tasty, tender. I served mine over angel hair pasta. Thanks for the recipe!
Apr 15, 2014
Wow! Promptly added this one to my recipe box! You guys are right: double the sauce. I used half wine and half chicken broth for the wine.
Jan 30, 2014
This is my go to chicken marsala recipe. It's perfect for my husband and I and if company comes over I simply double/triple the recipe. The lemon adds a bit of freshness to this recipe which we love. In the winter time I keep a jar of freeze dried basil on hand and it works well for this recipe. I use low sodium chicken stock in lieu of the wine. It is absolutely delicious.
Jan 30, 2014
Just made it and it was a hit! Doubled the sauce but husband wanted even more.
Jan 27, 2014
I've made this several times ... what a delicious recipe! My family loves it. I love the fact that it's quick to prepare. Served it with garlic mashed potatoes. I added a little bit more chicken broth and marsala wine so we would have extra sauce for the potatoes. Excellent dish!
Feb 6, 2013
Taste just like Chicken Marsala Olive Garden. The only thing I did different is I used Oregano instead of basil and 1/4 cup of olive oil with 1 tbsp. butter to sauté the chicken. Very good one of our home new favorites. Thank you for the recipe.
Dec 26, 2012
This was SO good! I had 4 thinly sliced chicken breast peices so I just doubled the entire recipe. I also used chicken broth instead of marsala wine. My boyfriend loved it and said that it tasted like something he would eat at a restaurant. He's not very into chicken and really enjoyed this! I let the sauce reduce a little too much due to multitasking in the kitchen, but still it was good! Next time i'm going to serve it with garlic mashed potatoes & fresh green beans. :))
Dec 21, 2012
Haven't made this yet but I'm wondering to double up on the sauce do I just need to double the amount of wine/chicken broth? Or what else do I need to double? Please help I would like to make this tonight for dinner :)