Marsala Chicken & Mushrooms
Chicken Marsala is one of my top-picks for Italian food. I wanted to learn how to make it myself and took about 5 different recipes and came up with my own version. The first time I made it my mom didn't stop talking about it for a week.—Nickie Frye, Evansville, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, carrots and onion in remaining butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth and wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in cream. Return to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Return chicken to pan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 632 calories, 44g fat (21g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Chicken with Marsala Cream Sauce in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011