Baked Mushroom Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Flatten each chicken breast half to 1/4-in. thickness. Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dip chicken in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons butter on both sides. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in the remaining butter until tender. Add the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Spoon over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° until chicken is no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses and green onions. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half : 311 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Feb 6, 2020
My whole family loved this recipe. The chicken was so tender. A very easy recipe to make. It is definitely a keeper.
Jan 29, 2020
My husband's comment with the first bite? "This is delicious!" My favorite taste tester food judge really liked this dish and so did I. I followed the recipe ingredients exactly other than upgrading by using portobello mushrooms. Procedure-wise: I sliced two 8-oz. chicken breasts lengthwise rather than pound them to 1/4" thickness. Doing that saved a little effort and it did not at all impact the taste. This recipe can make a novice cook look like a seasoned pro. It was flavorful, juicy and the two of us could have easily eaten the other two servings. :) I will definitely be making this again. I liked the idea shared in the reviews of sauteing the onions. I'm also toying with the idea of using half chicken broth and half white wine for the sauce mixture. To answer "Lousey Cook in Texas' question: I don't know that it would taste as good as making it fresh. The breading on the chicken might get a bit soggy. You could try it but it really doesn't take long to put this all together.
Jan 24, 2020
Can this be prepared the night before so all I have to do is bake it?
Jan 11, 2020
Alice - look at step 3 !!
Jan 11, 2020
this was good. it is chicken. season to your own taste. DUH!!!!! Why are not intelligent people even trying to cook. the recipe ingredients tell you how much chicken and step 3 tells you when to put on the cheese. Do you people need help crossing the street?
Dec 29, 2019
Made with sherry instead of broth and left out the mozzarella because I didn't have any - family loved it. Will try doubling the mushrooms and sauce next time. Delicious.
Nov 17, 2019
DELICIOUS!!! Made tonite for dinner and my Husband and I really enjoyed the chicken!! I added some koser salt, ground pepper and garlic powder to the flour before dredging the chicken. Will definitely make again for the whole family for our Sunday get togethers.
Oct 31, 2019
AWESOME!!! This recipe is definitely a must for keeping. I did add more mushrooms and I salted, peppered, and added garlic to the chicken breast before flouring. This would also be great for dinner guests. Thanks SO mush for sharing!
Oct 27, 2019
It SAYS in the top line of the Ingredients that you need, and I quote "4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)" for this recipe.
Oct 27, 2019
For Barry! Here’s the answer to your question......4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound). Read the next time!! Thank you!!