Fontina Chicken & Pasta Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked spiral pasta
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, add mushrooms to remaining oil; cook and stir over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in soup, broth, 1 cup cheese, oregano and pepper. Add spinach and tomatoes; return chicken to pan.
- Drain pasta; add to soup mixture and toss to combine. Divide between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, covered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casseroles with foil; bake as directed, increasing baking time to 1-1/4 hours or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 601 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1362mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 42g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 1, 2018
To bideford - it really isn't fair to give a recipe a poor rating simply because of an opinion that has nothing to do with the actual recipe. Anyway, I also am gluten free, and Pacific brand makes a really good gluten free condensed cream of mushroom soup. Most grocery stores carry it. Don't look for a can like Campbell's - look for a small square carton. If your store doesn't carry it, they are readily available online (like at Amazon). They make GF cream of chicken too!
Jan 14, 2018
The reason I do not take the publication and cannot use many of their quick and easy recipes is because they so very often mention the use of a canned soup. Since there is no canned soup that is gluten free that takes the idea off the list. If I have to start from scratch to make my own soup first then it is neither quick or easy. Thy might at least suggest a substitute for the item that is off limits to many of us. Forget cooking separately for the GF member of the family.
May 19, 2017
The fontina cheese made it even more delicious!
Jan 25, 2017
This was a delicious casserole. Added shallots when sauteing the mushrooms, added Greek seasoning and lemon pepper to the chicken while browning, Parmesan cheese with the Fontina. Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes for zip. Next time, I will leave out the oregano, it was too strong in this casserole and was overpowering. Also added buttered bread crumbs to the top after baking for 20 min foil on, 30 min foil off with the bread crumbs. I made the whole thing at once , in a big casserole dish and it is all gone. Will make again, very pretty!
Sep 9, 2016
I made this when it was first published a couple of years ago...THEN, I looked at the nutrition information. The flavor was pretty good, but really not worth the high-calorie, high-sodium and high-fat content. TOH should try a little harder to provide folks with better options.
Mar 23, 2016
Made one for us and gave the other to friends. Both families thought the casserole was delicious; our friends requested the recipe. Mild yet flavorful, creamy, attractive presentation. Important to use the fontina cheese. Substituted a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes for the fresh.Why do folks rate something they haven't even tried? It throws the average rating off.
Feb 26, 2016
It was okay.
May 25, 2015
I loved this-one of my favorites so far! I added a little more chicken and only put in about half the mushrooms since I'm not a huge mushroom fan. I will definitely make this again.
Nov 12, 2014
My family really liked this, which was huge since they realized there was spinach in it!
Aug 29, 2014
Without making the recipe yet I'll a 3 since I haven't tasted it yet. Looks pretty. I don't know what Fontina Cheese is....?? Where do I find it - ps. I live in Australia!