Fontina Rolled Chicken
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup julienned oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, chopped and patted dry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a bowl, mix the first six ingredients; stir in 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and the remaining salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, toss bread crumbs with paprika.
- Carefully pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread cheese mixture over chicken. Roll up chicken from a short side; secure with toothpicks.
- Dip chicken in egg, then coat with crumbs. Place in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down. Drizzle tops with oil.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink. Let stand 5 minutes; discard toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 561 calories, 32g fat (14g saturated fat), 213mg cholesterol, 962mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 51g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 8, 2018
This recipe was excellent - I did have to use cheddar instead of Fontina because I couldn't find Fontina in the UK but it still turned out great!
May 5, 2018
I can't believe this recipe has only 4 reviews! This is an *excellent* chicken recipe. How many ways can we cook chicken, right? Well this recipe is a game changer. I don't know if it's the Fontina (which I made accompanied smashed, garlic potatoes with melted Fontina on top,) or the addition of sun-dried tomatoes (or bacon!!) or what. But this chicken recipe is on our rotation as a family favourite!! Thank you!!
Apr 30, 2018
This was delicious!!! One of my favorite chicken dishes for sure! My father-in-law doesn't care for chicken but he loved this chicken!! A definite winner.
Dec 11, 2015
Loved this! Easy to make & tastes great. I used half Panko & half Italian bread crumbs only because I don't care for the Panko. Either way, this recipe is definitely a keeper.
Oct 10, 2015
Made this last night and it was delicious !! Did the prep ahead of time and it was easy. I didn't have to use the tooth picks,.just rolled and put on the foil in pan. Excellent and will definitely make again. Thanks !!!
Aug 16, 2015
Absolutely delicious! I didn't have Panko breadcrumbs so I used regular. The combination of flavors was amazing. This is definitely a dish to be made for company.