Cajun Chicken Pasta Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) bow tie pasta
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until juices run clear. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In same pan, saute onions and peppers in remaining oil until tender. Add broth, soups, milk, Cajun seasoning and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and chicken to soup mixture; toss to coat. Divide between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake casseroles 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casseroles, as directed, increasing time to 55-60 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 465 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 928mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Jan 31, 2018
I went by the recipe except I used spiral pasta, cooked and deboned a whole chicken, and added cayenne pepper to the other seasonings. I put it all in a Paula Dean stone casserole pan. Didn’t have tin foil so just baked it without it next time I will do the same but add more chicken and shrimp ?? like someone else said. Yummo!!!!
Jun 3, 2015
My daughter really liked this, but I thought it was missing something. I added some red pepper flakes and grated Parmesan cheese to my leftovers. Not sure if that is what it needed, but it helped.
Mar 17, 2015
Biggest critic...my husband...has been going on and on about it. I will tell you...he's been angry ever since he heard I was making a CASSEROLE! Now that he's tried it...he's telling me that I should make this again. :) One kid liked it...one kid didn't. This is not a casserole family so...you know. I made this exactly like the recipe but had to leave out the red peppers as they somehow disappeared! Wouldn't make any changes!
Jul 3, 2014
Jul 2, 2014
Love how easy this is to prepare with the added bonus of ending up with two meals! I prepared it exactly as per instructions and everyone thought it was delicious. It's a keeper.
Nov 11, 2013
May 15, 2013
We are still enjoying this dish over and over and over again! So easy to make.
Mar 3, 2013
I tripled this recipe and froze it when I was expecting my first child. I'll admit, the flavor combination was a little different, and I wasn't 100% sure about it when I first made it. But it really grew on me - it's a favorite now, and I find myself cooking extra chicken when I make other meals just so that I can have leftover chicken to use in this recipe. I love it!! I did follow the advice of other reviewers and I slightly reduced the amount of noodles I used and I've had no problems with the dish being dry. For some reason I can't click on the "stars" to rate the dish, but I would give it 5 stars!
Feb 6, 2013
I have made this many times and my husband keeps asking for me. It is so easy to make and is very delicious!
Jan 11, 2013
We thought this needed a little more punch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.