Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells
When chicken Parmesan meets stuffed shells, it's love at first bite. The texture of the chicken holds up in the deliciously creamy cheesy mixture. —Cynthia Gerken, Naples, Florida
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 cups meatless pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced and halved
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook shells according to package directions for al dente; drain. Toss with oil; spread in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- For filling, toss chicken with Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken just until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in butter until melted. Stir in bread crumbs; cook until crumbs are slightly toasted, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix cheeses, milk, parsley and the remaining salt and pepper. Fold in chicken.
- Spread 2 cups pasta sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Fill each shell with 2-1/2 tablespoons ricotta mixture; place over sauce. Top with remaining sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- Cover with greased foil; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 431 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.