Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce
Even my "meat-and-potatoes" husband often requests these filling and flavorful shells. Chock-full of veggies and cheese, they make great cold-weather fare.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 28 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt and remaining oregano. Drain pasta shells; cool slightly. Stuff with cheese mixture.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce into each of 2 greased 11x7-in. baking dishes; arrange shells over sauce in a single layer. Pour remaining meat sauce over the shells. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.