Stuffed Shells with Arrabbiata Sauce
This Italian classic takes on a distinctive Latin American flourish with the addition of chorizo. The sausage adds an extra kick and awesome flavor to a dish that's already a favorite. —Crystal McDuffy, Fairfax, Virginia.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ARRABBIATA SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces sliced pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) marinara sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef and chorizo with onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in spinach, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- Stir ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, eggs, basil, parsley and remaining salt and pepper into meat mixture. For sauce, in a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add pancetta; cook and stir until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Add pepper flakes and garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add marinara sauce; bring to a simmer.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Fill pasta shells with meat mixture; place in baking dish, overlapping ends slightly. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 20-25 minutes.
Originally published as Cheesy Spanish Stuffed Shells w /Arrabbiata Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.