Baked Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Pour melted butter into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; shake to coat. Place chicken, skin side down, in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30 minutes. Turn chicken pieces; bake and additional 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onions and mushrooms in a nonstick skillet until tender. In a bowl, combine next five ingredients. Drain and discard chicken drippings. Cover chicken with onions, mushrooms and the soup mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Reduce heat to 325° Cover and bake 20 minutes or until juices run clear. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 800 calories, 50g fat (23g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 1287mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 61g protein.
Feb 24, 2015
Delicious! The chicken had a nice crispy coating, the gravy was very good over mashed potatoes!
Oct 4, 2010
This is a simple recipe to make, I used chicken portions. My family loves it and I have served it to company. We like it with mashed potatoes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.