Fried Chicken with Pan Gravy
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 cups gravy)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 in. of oil; fry chicken until browned on all sides. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally. Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove chicken to paper towels and keep warm.
- Pour off excess fat from the skillet, reserving the browned bits and 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked chicken with 1/4 cup gravy: 468 calories, 32g fat (7g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 35g protein.
May 9, 2015
Just like I remembered as a kid, just a different touch of seasoning. Great. 5 Star..
Oct 29, 2013
Chicken was excellent, but I don't think I made the gravy right. I'll be making this again for sure!
Apr 19, 2012
Oct 2, 2010
Ohhh so yummy!! I have made this several times and everyone thoroughly enjoyed. Brings back such great memories. Thanks so much!!
Oct 1, 2010
yummy, just like grandma used to make. Fattening though