Fried Chicken with Pan Gravy
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 cups gravy)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 in. of oil; fry chicken until browned on all sides. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally. Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove chicken to paper towels and keep warm.
- Pour off excess fat from the skillet, reserving the browned bits and 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 468 calories, 32g fat (7g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 35g protein.
May 9, 2015
Just like I remembered as a kid, just a different touch of seasoning. Great. 5 Star..
Oct 29, 2013
Chicken was excellent, but I don't think I made the gravy right. I'll be making this again for sure!
Apr 19, 2012
Oct 2, 2010
Ohhh so yummy!! I have made this several times and everyone thoroughly enjoyed. Brings back such great memories. Thanks so much!!
Oct 1, 2010
yummy, just like grandma used to make. Fattening though
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.