Spinach-Mushroom Stuffed Chicken
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup julienned sweet red pepper (2-in. pieces)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves with skin
- 2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the spinach and red pepper; cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the Swiss cheese, bread crumbs, lemon peel, salt and pepper.
- Carefully loosen chicken skin on one side of each chicken breast half to form a pocket; stuff with spinach mixture. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until juices run clear.
- In a small saucepan, bring wine or broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced to 1 cup. Slowly whisk in cream and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 483 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 44g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2012
Oct 17, 2011
This turns out very moist, which is great since this is white meat. I do not like frozen spinach since it's stringy. I use fresh baby spinach uncooked but chopped in my food processor. Since I always have leftover cheese, I have sprinkled it on top of the breasts during the last 15 minutes of bakeing; made a great crust. One last thing, sometimes when I made this is substituted Asiago Cheese for the Swiss. Yummm...two thumbs up.