Mushroom Marsala with Barley
This filling vegetarian recipe is a tasty mashup of chicken Marsala and mushroom barley soup. It's great as a main dish, but can also be served, with or without the barley, as a side. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds baby portobello mushrooms, cut into 3/4-in. chunks
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 cups cooked barley
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine mushrooms, shallots, olive oil and thyme. Add 1/4 cup Marsala wine. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, about 4 hours.
- Stir in sour cream, flour, lemon zest, salt and remaining Marsala. Cook, covered, on low 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with goat cheese and parsley. Serve with hot cooked barley.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup mushrooms with about 1/3 cup barley: 235 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Mushroom Marsala with Barley in Taste of Home December 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.