Chicken Merlot with Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup merlot or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with pasta if desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked chicken with 1/2 cup sauce: 310 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Oct 2, 2017
I liked the ease of preparation and the fact that it did not take too long to cook (the chicken was over 200 degrees after 4 1/2 hours). It just did not have much "oomph" for me. The flavor profile was good and my family enjoyed it.
Oct 30, 2015
Just did not care for at all.
Dec 20, 2014
Not the best chicken I have ever tasted. It needed something else, not sure what, to give it some flavor. Sort of blah. In my slow cooker it only took 3 hours at the most; any longer and it would have been mushy. Good idea to check for doneness about half way through the cooking time.
Oct 20, 2014
I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken. Very good. No longer than 5 hours on low in my slow cooker. Need the tapioca to make the sauce velvety. Don't leave it out. A keeper.
Oct 4, 2014
Very good! Great deep flavor.
Jan 4, 2014
I really loved this recipe. I covered it with a hearty sprinkle if Italian blend cheese before serving. Served with side of hot pasta and plenty of crusty Italian bread for sopping up sauce and cheese.
Nov 14, 2013
Great! Superb! Amazing! Need I go on. Make it!!
Jul 23, 2013
In response to the person who could not find instant tapioca - you need to look in with the instant pudding. Kraft makes a Minute Tapioca in small, Jiffy mix type box.To others wondering about substitutes, I found this tidbit on the 'net:INGREDIENT - 1 Tbls. cornstarch,SUBSTITUTE -2 Tbls. flour or 1 1/3 Tbls. quick-cooking tapioca;INGREDIENT -1 Tbls. flour,SUBSTITUTE - 1/2 Tbls. cornstarch or 2 tsp. quick-cooking tapioca;INGREDIENT -1 Tbls. tapioca,SUBSTITUTE -1 1/2 Tbls. all-purpose flourI am cooking up this dish now. Will write further review once it has been served.
Jun 28, 2013
kaela0124 you can substitute cornstarch for tapioca, use half the amount and don't use it until the end of your cooking process. I would mix it with a little cold water before adding it, like you would for gravy.
Jun 28, 2013
I have read all the reviews and maybe I just missed the answer. But I just went to 3 stores - Jewel, Dominicks and Walmart and everyone told me they don't carry quick cooking tapioca anymore. Do I use the same measurement of cornstarch?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.