Lemon-Basil Chicken Rotini
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cups uncooked white fiber rotini or whole wheat rotini
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch strips
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 6 ounces), thawed
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook rotini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- Add mushrooms and carrots to same skillet; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, cream cheese and lemon juice; stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain rotini; add to vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken, peas, Parmesan cheese, basil, lemon peel, salt, pepper and pepper flakes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 308 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 28, 2015
I agree that the brightness of the lemon and the heat from the pepper make this recipe a very well balanced dish.
Nov 20, 2015
Omitted the mushrooms, used full fat cream cheese. My guys aren't fans of peas, added them to just my portion. Filling but not heavy.
Oct 24, 2015
This was just enough different to be delicious. I was out of mushrooms, but will try that next time. Also, instead of the grated carrots, I added frozen peas and carrots before adding the chicken back in, and it worked great.
Oct 14, 2015
Wonderful! Delicious. I love the occasional hint of the red pepper flakes as well as lemon zest and yet it's not a spicy but a well balanced dish. The second time around, I'll add roasted shiitake mushrooms and/or 1/2 cup of the pasta water and 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano. It doesn't need any changing but just to fuss with it because it's what I like to do.
Oct 8, 2015
I enjoy trying new recipes and my husband enjoys eating them. This was delicious. I did not include any added salt because there was enough in the cheese and in the chicken broth. Next time I will use 2 1/2 cups of the rotini instead of 3. Will definitely make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.