Lemon Chicken with Basil
No matter when I eat it, this tangy slow-cooked chicken reminds me of summer meals with friends and family. —Deborah Posey, Virginia Beach, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (3/4 ounce)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Additional grated lemon zest and chopped basil, optional
- Place chicken breasts in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Finely grate enough zest from lemons to measure 4 teaspoons. Cut lemons in half; squeeze juice. Add zest and juice to slow cooker.
- Tear basil leaves directly into slow cooker. Add chicken stock. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 3-4 hours. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with 2 forks. If desired, stir in additional lemon zest and chopped basil.
Test Kitchen Tip
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half: 200 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat.
Originally published as Lemon Basil Chicken in Taste of Home September/October 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.