Lemon Cream Chicken
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper. Dip chicken breasts in flour mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Cook chicken in batches until a thermometer reads 165°, 5-7 minutes per side. Remove chicken, reserving drippings in pan.
- Add broth to skillet; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup cream, lemon juice and mushrooms; cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining flour and cream until smooth; stir into sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add chicken; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 381 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Apr 26, 2018
We really liked this recipe. I deglazed the pan with about 1/3 c. of white wine, added garlic and the broth and then reduced the sauce and followed the rest of the recipe as written. I was afraid that it would be too lemony so I only used 2 T. of lemon juice, 3 T. would have been better. It was served over linguine noodles. I plan to make this again and again.
Feb 25, 2018
Very good recipe. I added one clove of minced garlic before adding the chicken broth and finished with some fresh parsley. Really enhanced the dish.
Jan 16, 2018
Oh my goodness! After making this last night I seriously cannot wait to have it again. So creamy, so rich and delicious! This is my first review of any TOH recipe and I must say by far my favorite! All the reviewers are correct, this sauce is simply decadent and could be used over anything. Veggies, baked or mashed potatoes, pork chops, fish, a flip-flop.....lol, just kidding! The only change I made was to deglaze the pan with 1/3 cup white wine before I added the broth. And I only used 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in the sauce with a lemon wedge squeezed over right before eating. Served it on a egg noodles. SO GOOD. You won’t be disappointed with this dish. Thanks for sharing!!!
Nov 6, 2017
I made this dish a few nights ago for my family. My husband loved it! So did I. I doubled the sauce except for the lemon. I added crush red pepper. At the end I sprinkled chopped parsley because the dish needed some color. I plan to make this again.
Jun 27, 2017
Did this exactly and loved every bite. I was afraid of too much lemon flavor, but it was super. The Husband said it was terrible and to put the leftovers in a tupperwear and put it in his car...meaning he loved it!! Oh and btw DOUBLE the sauce part...as it needed more sauce. I also served this over rice, instead of the suggested linguine in my Simple & Delicious magazine.
Feb 4, 2017
a no go.hubby said almost inedible-all you taste is lemon
Jan 17, 2016
What an outstanding recipe! I've been making this delicious chicken since the recipe was first published in Taste of Home, and it remains a family favorite!
Aug 25, 2015
Great receipe! My family absolutely loved it. I substituted limes instead of lemons and it still came out perfect! I also seasoned the flour for coating the chicken, with thyme. My husband, teenager and my 8 year old gobbled it down. Kept hearing mmmmm over and over again. Thank you for sharing receipe.
May 19, 2015
Nothing wrong with this recipe, but too bland for us. My husband remarked that it was "ok, but don't bother making this again". We will stick with piccata when we want the chicken and lemon flavor combination.
Feb 4, 2015
Great recipe. Followed as written except to serve over basil flavored linguine. It made enough sauce for us. My 4 and 6 year olds went back for seconds.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.