This lemon-roasted chicken is perfect for spring gatherings. It's light and pairs well with a variety of sides. —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- Fill chicken cavity with celery, onion and apple. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place in a 6-qt. slow cooker, breast side up. Rub chicken with oil; rub with rosemary, salt, thyme, paprika, garlic and pepper. Top with lemon.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads at least 170°-175°, 4-5 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Discard vegetables. Let chicken stand 15 minutes before carving.