Spicy Taco Meat
My husband and I love Tex-Mex food with all the fixings. Cooking the meat in the slow cooker makes prepping the toppings a breeze. We love to serve this at parties, with the filling in the slow cooker to stay warm and the various toppings in bowls so the guests can build their own! —Rebecca Yankovich, Springfield, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) pickled jalapeno peppers, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Corn tortillas (6 inches), crumbled cotija cheese, lime wedges, fresh cilantro leaves, sliced radishes and sour cream, optional
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown meat. Transfer meat to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add beer to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; pour over meat. In a large bowl, combine jalapenos, onion, garlic powder and chili powder; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and 2 cups juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Return beef and reserved vegetables and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup cooked meat mixture: 307 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Fajita Meat in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Aug 31, 2019
Wow this was a show stopper for sure. Two compliments from my family while this cooked. I did mine on high for two hours and it was 2.5 lbs instead of 4.
Aug 24, 2019
looks great almost like mine