Spicy Oven-Fried Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed (8 ounces each)
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl or dish, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and coat with crumb mixture. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half: 296 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 40g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 27, 2019
I'm only giving this 4 stars because it was way too spicy for my family. Don't get me wrong.....the chicken was good. Very moist - which is the one thing that we look for in chicken. I used boneless chicken breasts as that's what I had on hand, and adjusted cooking time. I also used less of the "spicy" seasonings than called for as I always do when trying out a recipe for the first time.....still too spicy. I haven't given up on the recipe .... I like the buttermilk marinade. I simply will make my own combination of spices (probably eliminate the cayenne pepper entirely for one thing). and simply keep trying different ones until I "hit" on the one we like.
Oct 17, 2018
Kept the skin on the chicken breasts and removed it after chicken was done. We never eat the skin, but love the flavor it imparts. Greatly enjoyed the spice mixture for the flavor some of which I put under the skin. Didn't mind that there was no crunch; the moist chicken was delicious enough. Going to try this on drumsticks, too.
Jul 1, 2012
I used Panko breadcrumbs instead to make the coating more crunchy.
May 7, 2012
I used Italian bread crumbs instead of "soft bread crumbs." It is an excellent recipe, esp for chicken that isn't very tender and moist to start with...
Feb 24, 2011
Very good. Made with baked potato and veggies. Great meal. You will love this.
Oct 17, 2010
The long soak in buttermilk results in very moist chicken, and the coating is very well-seasoned without being too spicy.