Spicy Oven Fried Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed (8 ounces each)
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine remaining ingredients; seal bag and toss to combine. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half : 296 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 40g protein.
Jul 1, 2012
I used Panko breadcrumbs instead to make the coating more crunchy.
May 7, 2012
I used Italian bread crumbs instead of "soft bread crumbs." It is an excellent recipe, esp for chicken that isn't very tender and moist to start with...
Feb 24, 2011
Very good. Made with baked potato and veggies. Great meal. You will love this.
Oct 17, 2010
The long soak in buttermilk results in very moist chicken, and the coating is very well-seasoned without being too spicy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.